these are the things that are on my mind....

these are the things that are on my mind....

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Another day in paradise

Today, at around noon, a wasted, I mean WASTED older man (probably mid 50s) sat down at my bar. I'm not sure exactly how I managed to enrage him, other than asking his wife if evian was okay, but he went on a tirade of viscous expletives about me, my face, my demeanor, his intent to get me fired, yada yada....... Never in my life have i had so many four letter words thrown at me, about me, in such an attacking way. While I survived the incident unscathed, which required me actually having to flee from the situation, my frustrated and overwhelmed hormones reduced me to tears. And that pissed me off. In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't say anything back to this asshole, because I've no doubt whatsoever that he would have physically attacked me, whether by throwing something at me or jumping across the bar as he was poised to do right before I dismissed myself, I feel like I betrayed myself, or was betrayed by my girly instincts. Why cry? ugh! what does that do? I didn't stand up for myself. I didn't tell the jerk where he could shove his intoxicated insults. I stood there, and took it, looking him dead in the eye as he called me things that men are forbidden to call women, even in the most dire of situations, words that only other women can call the %$^& who slept with her boyfriend....... I just hate that he felt like he won. He sent me running. He suffered no consequence other than being asked to leave by the sweetest little red headed gayboy bartender i know. Is this what I do for a living? Is this who I've become? Am I so aptly trained in customer service that I just sit and listen to some idiot insult every ounce of my being without standing up for myself?
yep, just another day in paradise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought we were looking for another job??

PS Don't be hard on yourself with this one..