these are the things that are on my mind....

these are the things that are on my mind....

Sunday, April 27, 2008

A Read Worth Reading

For those of you who know me, you know I read pretty quickly, and for those of you who don't, well, it's true, I read pretty quickly. Anyways, I had some time to kill on Friday..... So I read this book. My roommate Court had recommended it. I've read Burroughs' first book Running With Scissors and, honestly, it didn't leave a lasting impact. However, I don't remember hating it either, so I thought I'd give Dry a go. It's pretty intense, to say the least. Burroughs chronicles his own battle with substance abuse, and sobriety.... The reviews say the book is "witty" and "funny"... I say it's pretty damn dark, but he's a man who knows how to laugh at himself, which I think is important, and it helps the reader through some interesting moments. He spares no detail. Anyways, it gets my recommendation. Just don't dive in expecting rainbows and butterflies, or belly laughs. Expect some cold hard truth, and you might walk away with some inspiration.

No comments: